Disclaimer: Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information at the time of writing, please ensure you check carefully before making any decisions based on the contents within this article.
We are absolutely thrilled this week to launch our fabulous luxury holiday cottage on the Yorkshire Coast – The Retreat
This chocolate-box cottage near Sandsend is one of our flag-ship properties and it’s easy to see why when you take in its handsome exterior, sumptuous rooms and award-winning gardens (over half an acres worth!) And did we mention the sea views?
But on top of all of that, this stunning Yorkshire Coast holiday cottage has a truly remarkable history. Read on to be fascinated by a slice of Yorkshire history…
The Retreat on the Yorkshire Coast – A remarkable history
The Retreat near Sandsend is a magical Yorkshire holiday cottage of particular historical interest. Some fascinating facts for you about this gorgeous coastal cottage…
- The Retreat is the oldest house in the Whitby area, dating back in parts to 1610. There is actually a chest which resides in the cottage containing memorabilia from the various previous inhabitants, some dating back hundreds of years!
- One of the holiday cottages past owners was a rather glamorous Victorian fossil hunter who, dressed in top hat, tails and a whale-bone umbrella, used to comb the beaches of the Yorkshire Coast searching for fossil finds. Images of this fetching fellow show an eccentric gentleman who was something of a rock star in the local area in those days!
- The Retreat also played host at one time to family of fisherman who lived off the riches of the North Sea. It is fascinating to think on their time here and how different it would have been back then.
- Rather surprisingly, this beautiful cottage by the Yorkshire Coast was also the holiday home of the American Editor of Vogue, Kennedy Fraser. Her Mother owned the house for many years and as a keen gardener set about taming the half acre of gardens into something truly beautiful
- Kennedy published a moving and very personal seven-page article about The Retreat in the American edition of Vogue in recent years, and it lends further weight to The Retreat being a sanctuary of peace and calm to all those who have stayed here
And now you can join this long list of previous inhabitants and stay in this wonderful holiday cottage on the Yorkshire Coast. Book your holiday now and experience the magic that is The Retreat!
Luxury Cottages on the Yorkshire Coast
The Retreat near Sandsend is one of several luxury cottages on the Yorkshire coast available from Gorgeous Cottages. Take a look at our full collection and start planning your dream holiday to Yorkshire now!