The York Food Festival is one of the highlights of the culinary calendar here in Yorkshire when the whole city is effectively taken over with the sound and smell of street food and stalls….
There are also lots of demonstrations and opportunities to try the food too all set to the backdrop of live music and real party atmosphere – a great way to spend an afternoon….
So, what are the highlights of the York Food Festival 2014?
Highlights of the York Food Festival 2014
This year’s festival sees a larger than ever line up of all sorts of fantastic food and drink to try, taste and buy. Here’s our round-up of the best events happening this year…
- The Ale Trail [Various Dates & Times | Real Ale Tent]The trail begins in the Real Ale Tent and takes you on a walking tour of some of York’s many pubs. Have your real ale booklet stamped at 12 of the participating pub and you can bag yourself a commemorative T-Shirt!
- French Cooking by James Cooper [26th June | Demonstration Area | Noon]
Ever wondered how to cook the classic French bouillabaisse? Well now you can find out with talented chef James Cooper of the Cleveland Tontine.
- York Cocoa House Workshop [28th June | Demonstration Area | 10am]
Join the passionate Sophie Jewett from the York Cocoa house and learn how to temper chocolate. The whole family can get involved in creating their very own chocolate bicycle for the Tour De France..
- York Brewery Demonstration [26th June | Demonstration Area | 4pm]
An introduction to brewing the perfect pint from the artisan York Brewery. Chance to sample the wares too!
- Wild Food Walk [28th June | Skeldergate Bridge | 10.30am]
A fascinating tour of edible wild plants around York. Bet you didn’t know you could rustle up some greens from for free!
- Field and Fawcett Wine Fair [26th June | The Guildhall | 6pm
A trade-style wine tasting event with over 100 different wines to try. Experts from Field and Fawcett on hand to help with any questions while you quaff.
- Tour de France Tasting Tour [28th June | Demonstration Area | 4:30pm]
Of course with the Grand Depart on the horizon it would be plain silly not to focus on the food of France. Join Michael Hjort and Karen Hardwick on a journey around French cuisine and fine wine. Delicious!
This is just a handful of the live events and tasty treats the York Food Festival has in store this year. For a full programme of events take a look at the website: www.yorkfoodfestival.com
York Food Festival – Where to stay
Hope we have whetted your appetite for a culinary break to York. In addition to the Festival there are also lots of really great restaurants in and around the city so you can go the whole hog and really indulge those taste-buds.
Stay a little longer and explore the city while you’re here. We have some gorgeous cottages and self-catering options in York and the surrounding area.
Just click here for more info York Cottages.