We’ve already highlighted the Grassington Dickensian Festival as one of our Top 6 Christmas Markets in Yorkshire, but it’s so good I think it deserves its own Blog spot!
The Grassington Dickensian Festival really is like stepping back in time. For three Saturdays leading up to Christmas Day the village is swathed in Christmas lights, the villagers dress up in traditional costume and the whole place comes alive with a real sense of a bygone era. It is quite magical.
Here are some of Gorgeous Cottages highlights…
Highlights of the Grassington Dickensian Festival 2013
- Morris Dancing – What English Festival would be complete without a spot of Morris dancing? Enjoy an energetic performance by the talented Leeds Morris men.
- Santa’s Procession – A must if you are bringing kids along. Father Christmas sets off from the main square in the village towards his Grotto in Pletts Barn.
- Torchlight Nativity Procession – One of the most endearing parts of the festival, the torchlight procession ends with a round of rousing carol singing by the bandstand.
- Punch & Judy – Another traditional treat for young and old alike.
- Grassington Handbell ringers – Held in the church we defy anyone to experience this and not feel Christmassy inside.
- Grassington Singers – Rounding off the whole event on the evening of the 14th December, the Grassington Singers present their annual Christmas concert
- Village fun – All the while you can wander around the village and delight at the Dickensian figures, the urban circus, the chestnut sellers, the Christmas market and lots more…
The Grassington Dickensian Festival is held over three Saturdays including the 7th and 14th December. For a full list of events, time and locations take a look at the official Grassington Website.
Accommodation for the Grassington Dickensian Festival
We have a number of holiday cottages available within easy reach of Grassington:
- The Lodge LHB – located just a few miles away near the village of Pateley Bridge.
- Eden – a fabulous large holiday cottage just outside Skipton, less than 10 miles from Grassington
- Sunnybeck Cottage & Bankwell Cottage – located in Giggleswick to the West of Grassington
- Pinecroft Cottage – set just south of Harrogate
- Greenbank – a large luxury cottage in Knaresbrough