With a selection of dog-friendly beaches, plenty of places to explore with pups and pubs that will happily welcome pooches of all shapes and sizes, the Yorkshire Coast is an ideal destination for a holiday with four-legged friends.
Whether you fancy heading out on a boat trip from Whitby Harbour, playing on the sandy beach at Sandsend or exploring the rock pools at Robin Hood’s Bay, we have compiled a list of some of the best dog-friendly cottages on the Yorkshire Coast. You’ll find dog-friendly Yorkshire Coast cottages that are perfect for romantic breaks, family holidays and special celebrations so you can find the perfect base for your next UK getaway.
🐶 Dog-friendly cottages in Robin Hood's Bay
🐶 Dog-friendly cottages in Whitby
🐶 Dog-friendly cottages in Scarborough
🐶 Dog-friendly cottages in Filey
🐶 Dog-friendly cottages in Flamborough
Dog-friendly cottages in Robin Hood's Bay
Take a bracing walk from the cliffs above Robin Hood’s Bay to the dog-friendly beach below and you’ll find narrow streets and secret alleys to explore and a selection of pubs and cafes where you can stop for refreshments. Here are some of the dog-friendly cottages in Robin Hood’s Bay:
Hidden Gem | Sleeps: 2 guests plus 2 dogs
This 17th-century fisherman’s cottage is tucked away down a peaceful alley in the heart of Robin Hood’s Bay with the dog-friendly beach just a short stroll away. Original fireplaces in both the kitchen and lounge add character and cosiness to this romantic coastal retreat.
- A sheltered courtyard garden has patio furniture with a chiminea to provide warmth on cooler evenings.
- The cottage is close to dog-friendly pub, The Bay, which marks the official end of Alfred Wainwright’s Coast-to-Coast walk and has wonderful views out to sea.
- Guests receive a generous welcome hamper with special treats for four-legged friends.
“We would certainly recommend this property to anyone who appreciates a lovely cottage in the right location.” Frank
Lenwood | Sleeps: 4 guests plus 2 dogs
This traditional three-storey sandstone cottage is located in one of Robin Hood’s Bay’s narrow cobbled streets and comes with a charming courtyard so you can watch the hustle and bustle of village life with your four-legged friend by your side.
- Each bedroom at this property has a floor to itself and you can enjoy wonderful sea views from the top-floor room.
- Original features include Georgian sash windows, exposed floorboards and a quarry tiled hearth.
- The stylish interiors include a colourful kitchen and an elegant living room that’s warmed by a wood-burning fire.
“Very, very dog friendly inside. Throws provided so dogs can feel at home as well.” Lynne
Whitby is deservedly one of the most popular spots on the Yorkshire Coast with a bustling harbour, an atmospheric old town and choice of dog-friendly beaches. Whitby Abbey is a good choice to visit with four-legged friends as you can both spend time exploring the ruins made famous by Bram Stoker’s Dracula.
Egton Cottage | Sleeps: 4 guests plus 2 dogs
This pretty stone cottage is located in a pretty village near Whitby and comes with glorious views of the surrounding North York Moors scenery and a dog-friendly country pub over the road. Country chic interiors include flagstone floors and a classic farmhouse kitchen complete with butcher’s block table.
- Dogs can come with you on the short train ride to Whitby where they can join you for fish and chips at the Abbey Wharf restaurant.
- Enjoy wonderful Esk Valley walks along countryside trails that lead straight to the coast.
- An enclosed garden is just right for four-legged friends and includes a patio and lawn with far reaching countryside views.
“A fabulous cottage that was cosy, comfortable and had everything that we needed. Super location with two pubs in walking distance so no need to cook!” Paula
Crag Cottage | Sleeps: 8 guests plus 2 dogs
This large luxurious dog-friendly holiday cottage is an ideal choice for families with a wonderful woodland setting that’s just a couple of miles from the delights of Whitby. It’s nestled down a quiet country lane and the five-star interiors include a feature double-sided wood burner which heats both the living room and the spacious kitchen/diner.
- The cottage is located on the outskirts of Ruswarp, a small village near Whitby which features a miniature railway and traditional wooden rowing boats to hire.
- Solid oak flooring throughout the downstairs of the property is warm underfoot and ideal for four-legged friends.
- The property’s lovely outside space includes a large, enclosed patio with outdoor furniture plus a tiered garden with lawn and more seating areas.
“Perfect location if you love to walk from woodlands to beach. Set in a secluded spot away from the hustle and bustle of life.” Justine
This fabulous five-bedroom holiday home is a perfect choice for gathering with family or friends, especially as a couple of dogs can come along too. The property has a prime spot looking out over Whitby Marina and features two separate lounges and a dining room that are all heated by wood burners.
- An outdoor terrace has views across to Whitby Abbey with a choice of seating areas so you can make the most of the wonderful seaside location.
- There are four bathrooms to go with the five bedrooms so no one will have to wait too long for their morning shower.
- Many of the rooms come with stunning Whitby views; a bay window in the main lounge that looks out over the marina and there are panoramic sea views from the top floor of the house.
One of the UK’s first seaside resorts, Scarborough is a coastal town that has something for everyone with golden beaches, Victorian buildings, amusement arcades and a plethora of dog-friendly things to do. Peasholm Park is a top choice to visit with pooches - especially as they can hop aboard the North Bay Heritage Railway which runs from the park to the dog-friendly beach.
This cute and cosy apartment comes with stylish interiors, vintage touches and a location in a historic Scarborough building that’s close to the Rotunda Museum and Spa Bridge. It’s just right for either solo travellers or couples looking to explore this popular seaside town.
- There are plenty of nearby options for four-legged friends to stretch their legs including a lawned green at the front of the property with views out to sea and a dog-friendly beach that’s just a short walk away.
- Elegant interiors include original sash windows, solid oak flooring and a feature semi-circular living room that’s filled with interesting vintage pieces.
- Take a walk to nearby Scarborough Castle where you can enjoy panoramic views over Scarborough from the dog-friendly grounds.
“Lovely little get away place which felt like home by the end of day one. Considering this property allows dogs (we took ours), it was spotless.” Lucy
This recently renovated holiday home is tucked away in a peaceful part of the North York Moors, close to the Moor-to-Sea cycle route which leads to nearby Scarborough. Large grounds and gardens (shared by two other properties) are a perfect playground for four-legged friends to explore with pathways, lawns, various seating areas and an impressive collection of trees and plants.
- There’s lots of natural light throughout the property with vaulted ceilings, a large feature window in the living room and a triple-aspect kitchen/diner.
- Both bedrooms at Moor Cottage have their own en-suite bathroom - the super-king-size bed in one of the rooms can also be made up as a twin for maximum flexibility.
- Dogs will enjoy exploring either nearby Wykeham Forest or the wonderful coastline around Scarborough.
Be among the first to stay - this property is new to the Gorgeous Cottages collection.
Dog-friendly cottages in Filey
Filey is a handsome Edwardian seaside resort that’s best known for its crescent-shaped beach which is a glorious 5-mile stretch of golden sand that curves around the town. Along with Filey’s pooch-friendly beach, there are also award-winning parks and gardens to explore and the Filey Bird Garden and Animal Park which welcomes well-behaved dogs on leads.
This light and bright coastal cottage has a nautical-themed decor and views out to sea. Look out over Filey Bay and to nearby Bempton Cliffs from the open-plan living space which features a well-equipped kitchen and a dining table where you can enjoy a home-cooked meal with a view.
- You’re just a 3-minute walk from Filey beach so dogs can dip their paws in the sea and enjoy a bracing walk along the sand.
- Outside space at the property includes an enclosed decked area where you can relax outdoors with your four-legged friend and a further shared lawn with picnic benches.
- Take a walk along the Cleveland Way National Trail which ends at nearby Filey Brigg or head along the historic Coble Landing to watch the fishing boats come in from a dog-friendly cafe.
“Sensational location and views out of the front room window! So easy and quick to access the beach.” Tovah
The Sailboat | Sleeps: 3 guests plus 3 dogs
This colourful Filey apartment is both cosy and bright with nautical cushions, seaside-themed artwork, white walls and red dining tables. Spend time exploring Filey with four-legged friends by your side then curl up together on a cosy sofa as they relax by your feet.
- Up to three dogs can have a coastal holiday with you at this seaside apartment which is just a few steps from Filey’s sandy beach.
- A kitchen/diner is perfect for sitting down for a meal together with your four-legged friends close by.
- If you don’t fancy cooking, you’re within easy walking distance of Filey Town where you’ll find an assortment of dog-friendly pubs and cafes amongst the handsome Edwardian buildings.
“The location is perfect for the lovely beach also making it great for a beach walk to Filey. The property is a real home from home.” Lewis
The Seashore | Sleeps 4 guests plus 2 dogs
This ground-floor Filey apartment is perfect for a family holiday by the sea with a large lounge where you can spend time together after days exploring the Yorkshire Coast. Sky TV and a selection of board games will help keep kids entertained while up to three dogs can snuggle up in this warm and welcoming living space.
- Access a private patio space directly from your kitchen where you can enjoy an al fresco meal together.
- Nautical-themed bunk beds are ideal for younger children and a fun reminder of your seaside location.
- The nearby Glen and Crescent gardens are dog-friendly spaces with formal flower beds, boating ponds, crazy golf, woodland and a bandstand for summer concerts.
“This was the perfect accommodation for us and our 12-year-old rough collie. Very homely and welcoming.” Katie
Dramatic white cliffs, scenic walking trails and a trio of dog-friendly beaches make Flamborough an ideal destination for a coastal getaway with four-legged friends. Bridlington is just 5 miles away and you can take a scenic boat trip between the two towns on the dog-friendly Yorkshire Belle.
Rock Lobster | Sleeps: 4 guests plus 2 dogs
Set just 300 metres from a dog-friendly beach, this wonderful coastal cottage looks out over the historic Flamborough lighthouse with light and bright interiors that are filled with stylish pieces and clever nautical touches. We recommend taking a bracing walk to the nearby RSPB nature reserve, Bempton Cliffs, where dogs on leads are welcome.
- A large comfortable sofa, wood burner, and solid oak flooring add warmth to the stylish and contemporary living room.
- Entry to the cottage is through a separate porch - perfect for sorting out muddy paws after a beach or cliff top walk.
- Outside space including a BBQ, a well-equipped kitchen featuring a dishwasher and washer/dryer plus a second twin bedroom make this a perfect property for families.
“Rock Lobster has to be the best cottage we have ever stayed in. Stunning location with walking from the doorstep.” Pauline
With a prime position in Flamborough, an enclosed garden that’s ideal for four-legged friends and homely touches throughout, this recently renovated property makes a great choice for a traditional family seaside holiday. There’s a choice of dog-friendly pubs and cafes close by and lockable bike storage if you fancy exploring the coastal path on two wheels.
- North View beautifully mixes characterful original fireplaces with contemporary design and cosy touches for a real home-from-home feeling.
- Enjoy wonderful countryside views from the spacious enclosed garden and family meals together around the large dining table.
- There’s lots to see and do nearby including walks along the white cliffs of Flamborough Head and a trio of nearby dog-friendly beaches to visit.
“We had a fantastic stay here! Cottage was beautiful and really homely. It was in the perfect location to travel around the Yorkshire coastline.” Gerald
More dog-friendly cottages on the Yorkshire coast
Here are some of the other dog-friendly cottages that make a great place for your Yorkshire Coast holiday:
Waverley House | Sleeps 6 guests plus 2 dogs
Staithes is one of the prettiest villages of the Yorkshire coast with colourful cottages that tumble down towards the sea and a sheltered harbour with traditional wooden fishing boats. Waverley House is a Grade II-listed property that’s tucked on one of Staithes' classic cobbled streets.
- This light and bright holiday cottage has plenty of charm and original fireplaces and beams remind you of the property’s rich history.
- There’s lots of space for families (and dogs) to relax in with an entrance hall to store muddy boots, a large open-plan kitchen/diner and both a main lounge and separate smaller snug.
- You’re just a short stroll from the dog-friendly beach at Staithes with a great nearby pub, The Cod & Lobster, that will happily welcome four-legged friends
Be among the first to stay - this property is new to the Gorgeous Cottages collection.
Book your getaway to the Yorkshire Coast
If you have been inspired to visit the Yorkshire Coast, you’ll find even more dog-friendly holiday homes on the Gorgeous Cottages website. For more inspiration read our guide to the best dog-friendly days out.
Disclaimer: Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information at the time of writing,
please ensure you check carefully before making any decisions based on the contents within this article.